Saturday, January 5, 2013

Picking a Pitch

As many of you know, I am entering Diary of a Freak into the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest in just over a week. The first part of the contest is a review of your pitch for your book. This part of the contest takes the contestants from 10,000 down to 2,000... So, it is very important to have a pitch that draws people in.

Because of the importance of this decision, and the fact that I value all of your opinions, I am submitting 3 pitches for your voting approval. Let me know which one would make you want to read this book.

Here they are:

1) Lauren Hunter has just committed the ultimate crime in the eyes of her mother. She has betrayed her family. As part of her punishment she is now sentenced to write in this diary for the next two months of her life.

A typical teenager, Lauren is busy with pep band, swimming, and friends, but unlike her friends, Lauren is a freak, and it is all thanks to her family. Lauren is the fifteenth in a long line of twenty-five kids. And if that weren’t enough, a good majority of her siblings, that have been collected from around the country, are both physically and mentally challenged. She blames her lack of a social life on the fact that she has been linked up with this band of misfits.

Diary of a Freak is an entertaining YA novel that will make you smile and groan through your teen years again. The witty look into Lauren’s crazy life will resonate with anyone who has ever felt like a freak as they battled their way through high school. It will appeal to readers who enjoy a good coming of age novel, and to the general public who wouldn’t pass up the chance to peek into someone else’s diary.

This is a semi-autobiographical novel. I drew from my own life experiences and deep vein of sarcasm to weave Diary of a Freak into the novel that I wish had been around when I was suffering through the mortifications of growing up in an odd family.


2) Once or twice in a lifetime you find a book that speaks to you. It seems to be talking from your very soul and exposing the unhealed scars that lie within. It makes you laugh and makes you cry and whispers your deepest secret truths. Diary of a Freak is that book for anyone who has ever felt out of place or on the wrong side of love. This is the story of my life.

At seventeen, Lauren Hunter, is your typical teenager. She is busy with pep band, swim team, preparing for college, and still trying to have some sort of a meager social life with friends and boys. But unlike all of her friends, Lauren is a freak, and it’s all thanks to her family.

Lauren is the fifteenth in a long line of twenty-five kids. And, as if that weren’t enough, a good majority of her siblings (that have been collected from what seems like every corner of the earth) are both physically and mentally challenged. It is this very fact, being linked with this band of misfits, that Lauren blames for her lack of a social life.

Sarcastic whit and tragically realistic events bring to life Lauren’s diary as she discovers the truths around her that make up who she is.

Truth: This is a story you will never forget.


3) October 13th, Friday

Today felt like any other day when it all started out. I twisted my hair up into its usual ponytail, jumped in the biggest van in existence with my family, felt thoroughly invisible as I walked down the halls of the school, was browbeaten into swimming faster by my swim coach and intimidated into silence by my band teacher, slobbered on by one of my brothers and mortified by the actions of one of my sisters… Just another day in paradise, right? It would’ve been for me, but somewhere along the way this day careened off the side of a mountain… into a rocky ravine… crashing into a roaring river… over a waterfall… and into a piranha filled body of water… making me feel even more of a freak than I already am… and somehow I got blamed for it!

In a deep need to make someone pay, my mother gave me the rawest of deals. A punishment for grasping for some sort of normalcy. So, these are the terms of my punishment:

1) I am to write in this stupid diary every day.

2) I am to write one true thing at the end of each entry.

3) Lastly, I am to help with my sister's Special Olympics class coming up as a volunteer for three weeks.

Some of you out there are thinking that this doesn't sound so very awful; oh, but that's where you would be wrong. This is the perfect evil-genius ending to a very awful day.

Sincerely,
A Freak

Truth: Whoever it was that said "Always look on the bright side of life." never had to deal with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment